Crispy Chicken Strips
Prep 10 minutes + Cook 30 minutes = Ready 40 minutes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup dry potato flakes (Idahoan are best)
1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
1 Tablespoon black pepper, or to taste
16 ounces chilled club soda
4 cups panko bread crumbs, or as needed
4 cups vegetable oil for frying
3 large chicken breasts, sliced into 1/4-3/8 inch thick slices or cut into bite-sized nuggets
salt to taste
Substitute fish, onion or pepper rings, mushrooms and adjust cooking time.
1) Whisk together flour, cornstarch, dry potato flakes, cayenne and black pepper in a large bowl. Whisk in club soda to make a smooth batter. Let batter sit for 2 minutes to thicken up.
2) Place panko bread crumbs in a separate shallow bowl.
3) Heat oil in a deep fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). We use a teflon coated deep fryer without the basket so the strips don’t stick.
4) Place a few strips or nuggets at a time into the bowl of batter and turn to coat all sides with batter.
5) Remove strips or nuggets from batter and shake off excess or you’ll need a lot more panko. Place into pan of panko bread crumbs; turn to coat completely with crumbs.
6) Cook a few pieces at a time in the hot oil until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes.
7) Transfer to a cooling rack set over paper towels to drain. Season with salt to taste and serve.